Praia Da Vitoria, Portugal
Packed with characterful towns, tranquil churches, springs, caverns, lakes and rolling patchwork pastures, this island brings rejuvenation and peace to its visitors. Praia da Vitoria is tucked in the far eastern corner of sub-tropical Terceira. With its sheltered natural harbour and modern marina, the town was named after the Battle of Praia Bay when the Miguelists were defeated on the beach by Portuguese loyalist troops in 1829. Wander the cobbled streets for a closer look at the colourful, adorned Holy-Ghost temples, such as the blue and white Imprio dos Pescadores; stretch out on the beach; or hike along the fort stone walls rising to the untamed beauty of the volcanic mountains beyond. Don't miss the panoramic views across the bay from the belvedere at Ponta da M Merenda, where the Forte do Esprito Santo once dominated the skyline.